The City of Grandview, Missouri has amended Sections 17-48 and 10-46 of the Code of Laws effective July 1,2016, to increase the minimum sale and distribution age of tobacco products, rolling papers, alternative nicotine, and vapor products to 21 years of age. Make sure you’re prepared, know the law, and post legal signage in your store.
The Jackson County Health Department is providing the following merchant resources: click the link and then download the documents to your computer.
Information on Sections 17-48 and 10-46 of the Code of Laws
- Each retailer shall ensure that all sales of tobacco products, rolling papers, alternative nicotine, and vapor products to any person comply with the following requirements:
- No person shall sell or distribute any tobacco product or rolling papers to any person younger than twenty-one (21) years of age, except that this subsection shall not apply to the distribution by family members on property that is not open to the public.
Alternative Nicotine Product: shall mean any non-combustible product containing nicotine that is intended for human consumption, whether chewed, absorbed, dissolved, or ingested by any other means. Alternative nicotine product does not include any vapor product, tobacco product, or any product regulated as a drug or device by the United States Food and Drug Administration under Chapter V of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
Rolling Paper: shall mean paper designed, manufactured, marketed, or sold for use primarily as a wrapping or enclosure for tobacco, which enables a person to roll loose tobacco into a smokeable cigarette.
Tobacco Product: shall mean smokeless tobacco products, tobacco snuff, cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco and other tobacco products suitable for smoking.
Vapor Product: shall mean any non-combustible product with or without nicotine that employs a heating element, power source, electronic circuit, or other electronic, chemical or mechanical means, regardless of shape or size, which can be used to produce vapor with or without nicotine in a solution or other form. Vapor product includes any electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device and any vapor cartridge or other container of nicotine in a liquid solution or other form that is intended to be used with or in an electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device. Vapor products does not include any alternative nicotine or tobacco product.
- Any wholesale dealer or retailer violating the provisions of this Article shall be subject to fines in the following amounts:
- First Offense: Twenty-Five Dollars ($25)
- Second Offense: One Hundred Dollars ($100)
- Third & Subsequent Offenses: Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250)
- The owner of an establishment at which tobacco products or rolling papers are sold at retail or through vending machines shall cause to be prominently displayed in a conspicuous place at every display from which tobacco products are sold and on every vending machine where tobacco products are purchased a sign that shall:
- Contain in red lettering at least one-half inch high on a white background the following: “It is a violation of local ordinances for cigarettes or other tobacco products to be sold to any person under the age of 21” and
- Include a depiction of a pack of cigarettes at least two inches high defaced by a red diagonal diameter of a surrounding red circle, and the words “Under 21.”
For more information, please contact the Jackson County Health Department at (816) 404-6415.