Sometimes those most vulnerable to COVID-19 also face the most barriers to getting their vaccine or booster dose. If you (or someone you know) need a ride, have limited mobility, or are homebound, local resources are available to help.
If you need transportation to and from your vaccination appointment, visit the state’s Get A Ride website to find free or low-cost rides in your area. Providers include, but are not limited to:
- Kansas City Area Transportation Authority — Serves the Kansas City region, including Gladstone, North KC, Independence, Raytown, and Lee’s Summit. To schedule, call (816) 221-0660 or visit ridekc.org/mobility-services.
- OATS Transit — Serves Eastern Jackson County, including Lee’s Summit, Blue Springs, and Grain Valley. Visit oatstransit.org/jackson or call (816) 380-7433 or 1-800-480-6287 to schedule in advance.
- Lyft — Provides free rides anywhere for older adults in need of transportation to/from a COVID-19 vaccination or booster appointment. Check out this article for step-by-step instructions on activating a free ride and setting up a Lyft account, including on a loved one’s behalf.
- Mid-America Regional Council AAA — Serves all seniors in Jackson County + surrounding counties. The AAA coordinates round-trip rides to appointments and can also help with scheduling vaccinations.
- Call 1-800-593-7948 for assistance.
Resources for Homebound Individuals
If you have difficulty reaching a vaccination site, you may be able to get an in-home vaccination. Contact these services to see if they offer in-home COVID-19 vaccinations in your area:
- Your doctor or health care provider
- Hotline for Medicare recipients at 1-800-633-4227 (TTY 1-877-486-2048)
- Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL) 1-888-677-1199
- Services for older adults and their families Eldercare Locator or 1-800-677-1116
Have questions or any additional needs? Send us a direct message on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter or email us at askJACOHD@uhkc.org.
Do you know someone who could benefit from these resources? Help us spread the word!
- October 2022 (1)
- September 2022 (2)
- August 2022 (1)
- July 2022 (3)
- June 2022 (2)
- May 2022 (1)
- April 2022 (4)
- March 2022 (2)
- February 2022 (1)
- January 2022 (2)
- December 2021 (4)
- November 2021 (3)
- October 2021 (1)
- September 2021 (2)
- August 2021 (3)
- July 2021 (2)
- June 2021 (1)
- May 2021 (2)
- March 2021 (1)
- December 2020 (6)
- November 2020 (8)
- October 2020 (4)
- September 2020 (7)
- August 2020 (3)
- July 2020 (11)
- May 2020 (4)
- April 2020 (4)
- March 2020 (1)