Click to Navigate:
Free KN95 Mask Distribution • How to Use a KN95 Mask • Wearing your Mask Correctly
The CDC recently updated its mask information page to clarify the types of masks that offer the best protection – especially against the highly contagious Omicron variant.
While all masks and respirators provide some level of protection, properly fitted respirators – such as N95, KN95, and KF94 masks – offer the most protection.
The bottom line? Masking is a crucial tool to prevent the spread of COVID-19; it’s important to remember that any mask is better than no mask. The CDC continues to recommend everyone, regardless of vaccination status, consistently wear the most protective, well-fitting mask available to them.
KN95 Mask Distribution
We’re distributing free KN95 masks to those who are high-risk or who work/live with high-risk individuals. Check out our map to find a distribution site near you. Available while supplies last.
Mid-Continent Public Library (hours vary by location)
- Blue Ridge Branch – 9253 Blue Ridge Blvd, Kansas City
- Blue Springs North Branch – 850 NW Hunter Dr, Blue Springs
- Blue Springs South Branch – 2220 MO-7, Blue Springs
- Buckner Branch – 19 E Jefferson St, Buckner
- Colbern Road Library Center – 1000 NE Colbern Rd, Lee’s Summit
- East Lee’s Summit Branch – 2240 SE Blue Pkwy, Lee’s Summit
- Farview Neighborhood Library – 18109 E 12th St N, Independence
- Grain Valley Branch – 101 SW Eagles Pkwy, Grain Valley
- Grandview Branch – 12930 Booth Ln, Grandview
- Lone Jack Branch – 211 N Bynum Rd, Lone Jack
- Midwest Genealogy Center – 3440 S Lee’s Summit Rd, Independence
- North Independence Branch – 317 W 24 Hwy, Independence
- Oak Grove Branch – 2320 S Broadway St, Oak Grove
- Raytown Branch – 6131 Raytown Rd, Raytown
- Red Bridge Branch – 453 E Red Bridge Rd, Kansas City
- South Independence Branch – 13700 E 35th St South, Independence
Jackson County Health Department (open M-F, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- 313 S Liberty St, Independence
How to Use a KN95 Mask
Maintaining + Reusing
When used in community settings, KN95 masks can be reused for an extended period of time. Properly wearing, storing, and replacing your KN95 will help maximize its lifespan and ensure best protection.
- When reusing, do not invert or wear inside-out. Keep the same side facing outward.
- Store in a dry, breathable bag (paper, mesh) to keep it clean and allow it to air out between uses.
- Do NOT wash your KN95 mask. Washing it will damage its protective barrier.
- Discard your KN95 if it becomes damaged, soiled, stretched out (fits loosely on your face), or hard to breathe through.
Wearing your mask correctly
Always wash or sanitize your hands before putting on or taking off your mask. Make sure your hands are dry and clean to avoid soiling your mask.
Place the mask over your nose and mouth (keeping the metal bridge / KN95 symbol on the outside) and loop the straps around both ears.
Press each side of the metal bridge against your nose, creating a tight fit.
Adjust the mask as needed. To work effectively, mask must be sealed tightly all around your face, not hanging loosely or leaking air.